It’s raining opportunity in Portland
The tech industry in Portland market is characterized by many small, highly nimble firms at the leading edge of innovation—and a booming job market. Come grow with us in Portland: check out our Portland IT jobs.
Principal Reference Architect –
As a Principal Reference Architect, you will be accountable for specific and/or emerging technologies in highly available, global-scale business critical systems. You'll work on the most complex projects and contribute to the overall strategic vision of the organization.
Expected deliverables include defining reference architectures and implementations. This entails working with Domain & Solution Architects to determine their requirements and leading the work via virtual teams similar to an Open Source model.
This opportunity also involves evaluating, designing and establishing the standards for enterprise-wide use and evaluating vendor solutions.
Love to still write code? Great we do to! We are not an “Ivory Tower” organization. Not only do we define solutions and reference architectures, you will build deployable reference implementations.
It’s in our nature to innovate, in addition to setting technology direction; reference architecture is tasked with coming up with disruptive and innovative ways to solve game changing opportunities.
Given the sheer number of people who will want to talk to you; you will need to have excellent written and verbal communication skills. You should be comfortable speaking to both technical and non-technical audiences up to C-level executives.
Now that we have you interested, here is what we’re looking for:
• A passion for technology and solving interesting challenges.
• Proven problem solver and pragmatic thinker.
• Current knowledge of industry best practices
• At least 10 years of experience in a lead development or architecture role(s).
• At least 3 years as a lead architect
• At least 3 years of experience with public and/or private cloud
• Highly Skilled in one or more of the following (Java, NodeJS, Python, Bash)
• Experience with Terraform, Cloud-formation or Troposphere
• You consider yourself or have been told you are a T shaped for E shaped individual
• Have the ability to translate business requirements to end-to-end solutions.
• Collaborative mind, able to work with a team to delivery the strongest solution.
• Self-starter and takes ownership in the quality of work being delivered.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Engineering Focused degree or equivalent work experience.
• Proven track record of High-Profile communication written and verbal
• 10+ years combined hands-on engineering experience with public cloud, distributed computing, commercial off-the-shelf (COTS), and custom developed solutions
• Large enterprise experience including global experience with solution delivery
• Demonstrated track record of leading within complex organizations requiring strong influence management skills - ability to work cooperatively at all levels in matrix environment
• Strong facilitation skills and experience in managing senior stakeholder relationship, partnership and interactions
• Exceptional collaboration, listening, written and verbal communication skills with ability to facilitate technology strategy, requirements and architecture conversations with all stakeholders (management, business users, and technology resources)
• Self-starter with high motivation and passion who thrives in an ever-changing, fast-paced environment with the ability to adapt to change
• Strong leadership, confidence, and influencing skills. High level of executive presence.
You have at least 5 years lead experience in 2 or more of the following areas:
• Data & Analytics – Industry expert in modern analytics practices and emerging technologies. Leveraging Spark, Hadoop, Airflow, Informatica, Map/Reduce, Algorithmia, MS/SQL, MySQL, NoSQL databases.
• Cloud Infrastructure – Deep understanding of cloud infrastructure and application architecture including but not limited to VPC, Networking, Security and isolation, routing, micro services, scalability, and cloud native architecture.
• Continuous Delivery & DevOps – experience in DevOps practices including infrastructure as code, configuration as code, release pipeline definition and deployment leveraging terraform, puppet, ansible, XL Release, git and artifactory.
• Web Applications
• Mobile Applications
• Integration – Integration patterns including SOA, message bus, web hooks, long and short-lived subscriptions. Leveraging technologies including SQS, SNS, Oracle Fusion, API Gateway and various file transfer protocols. Experience defining interfaces for software to hardware devices, integrating with hardware based protocols.
Principal Reference Architect – Day to Day Responsibilities:
The Principal Reference Architect will typically split their day to day responsibilities between four main areas: influencing, solutioning, coding and innovating. Below we have listed details about each area and roughly the percentage of time expected to be allocated to each area.
Influencing (20%): Working alongside other architects, lead engineers and delivery leaders to ensure they understand what the work is and how it needs to be developed. In this role you will often need to rely on your influence to get the work done as you defined, because it is often different from how individual teams would complete the same work.
• Assume a lead role in the Reference Architecture function in defining the technology standards and practices for global use in the areas of Data Analytics, Integration and Web Application Architecture.
• Alignment with Technology strategies through strong technical thought leadership, evangelism and practice.
• Works closely with other Reference Architects, Domain & Solution Architects, and Platform Engineering to ensure strategy and execution alignment.
• Advocate and drive adoption of “best practices” to ensure standardization of Reference Architectures across the Enterprise.
Solutioning (30%): Once you define the overall reference architecture you must often dive deep into the specifics of the solution being built to support the customer. By digging deep into the overall solution you will often uncover shortcomings of the reference architecture that should be updated and changed.
• Develop vision, strategy and execution in alignment with Domain roadmap demand plans for technology. Translating cross organizational demand into consistent and unified architectures delivered through reference architectures and reference implementations.
• Delivers technology solutions inclusive of on-premise through cloud and COTS to custom developed solutions and all combinations. Analyzing solution implications from multiple vectors including but limited to: cloud native design, resource planning, financial cost optimization, performance optimization, disaster recovery, high availability, global network performance and location impact.
• Creation and maintenance of Reference Architectures as required by business Domains and Platform teams.
• Review and access solution approach documents created by Domain and Solution architects ensuring best practices are followed.
Coding (30%): Many of our engineering teams are learning about our new reference architectures and implementations. The ability to work alongside other teams and help code solutions is important to our success and ability to influence those teams on the art of possible.
• Effectively manage priorities, deliverables and timeline's with little need for escalation.
• Proving effectiveness and providing repeatable real-world examples of Reference Architectures in practice through the creation of Reference Implementations in the form of working deployable, production ready code.
• Review and access existing solutions to harvest for reference architecture patterns. Create reference implementations to prove their viability and make available to the enterprise.
• Create proofs of concepts to validate and test new technology and approaches.
• Create proofs of concepts to test and define the performance profile of reference implementations to be later used by the enterprise.
Innovating (20%): Keep in touch with the direction of architecture in the industry and a good pulse on what the enterprise is working on. Understanding that sometimes we need to drive a proof of concept to understand the art of what is possible.
• Create proofs of concept with new and disruptive technologies.
• Provide architectural guidance and direction for Technology Innovation Initiatives.
• Create Reference Architectures and Reference Implementations from proven disruptive technologies for scaled innovation.
Interested? Please apply by sending us a resume at email@example.com
Apply for Principal Reference Architect - 8244366
Fill out the form below to submit your information for this opportunity. Please upload your resume as a doc, pdf, rtf or txt file. Your information will be processed as soon as possible.
Return to IT Job Search